QFX Import and Reconciled Transactions

DaveC49 davidcousens at bigpond.com
Thu Feb 15 19:13:21 EST 2018

Any matching procedure on an import is not going to be perfect. Make the
criteria too tight and almost nothing is matched. Too loose and everything
is matched, so it is always a compromise.

I have found the order in which I process the OFX imports from my various
accounts can have some impact on matching or at least the number of
transactions to an account which will be matched. I have one bank general
purpose account from which transfers to other accounts (credit card, account
connected to Paypal, savings accounts) are more common so I usually import
it first as there are then a smaller number of transactions in the other
accounts which are automatically matched so they are easier to check. If I
import the other accounts first then the odds of a mismatch are increased
and there are many more matches to existing transactions.

Perhaps one of the developers may be able to comment on how the matching
occurs, but I would imagine it is first a match on the amount and then on
proximity of the dates. The README on the Github gives some idea of how the
importer works although not detail of its opearation.

At best matching on the importer can only be a guide and its results always
need to be checked. I usually find any errors I haven't picked up at import
when I do a reconciliation against the issued statements but my bank now
only issues statements six monthly on some accounts and quarterly on others
and only my credit card has a monthly statement (one example of the many
improvements to customer service) so it takes longer to find errors now.

There are also a number of previous discussions of matching in the archives.
I odn't hthink the code has changed a lot recently.

David

-----
David Cousens