Finance::Quote for EE Savings Bonds

farleykj farleykj at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 20:57:10 EST 2018

Yeah, I've found that one of the philosophical differences in how to track
these things seems to be that some accounting systems want you to put the
bonds in as a share-per-USD relationship. And, since there is no actual
universal "symbol" for EE or other bonds of the type, there are lots of
user-defined encodings of the bond. I've even changed mine (I used to have a
"$" sign in the symbol definitions that made handling the strings involved
annoying and was, admittedly, lacking in foresight).
The only true troubles I've had with this particular task have to do with
Perl itself. Twice I've had to do a bit of updating of modules to get
communications with the treasurydirect site to work properly. Both times I
hadn't, to the best of my knowledge, done anything to alter my setup, but
"suddenly" things stopped working. It's one of those things that is
immensely frustrating when it stops working, but brings a great deal of
satisfaction when you "fix" it, eventually.
Either way, glad the code was of use to you. Now if only I could work out
all the intricacies of using Perl to get me quotes from my 401(k) for ESOP
funds...

-----
Ken Farley