How to assign transaction to accounts automatically.

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 20 11:01:46 EST 2018

Hi,

Hans Deragon <hans at deragon.biz> writes:

> Greetings,
>
> New user here.  I downloaded 500 transactions from my credit card bank
> site, all assigned to 'Imbalanced-CAD'.  Now, how can I set rules to
> automatically assign transactions to a specific account?  For instance,
> any transaction with "^ESSO.*" or "^SHELL.*" must be reassigned to
> Car:Gasoline.  I fail to find that information on the web, except that
> when importing, GnuCash trains itself and does that automatically at the
> next import.

There are no rule-based modifications.  It's all about training.

> But what about my 500 transactions that are already imported?  What
> about if one wants to reassign transactions to another account, after a
> month of careful thinking?  Does a user have to go through all
> transactions manually?

Yes, you will.   Or you can "restart" -- revert back to before the
import, and then assign the imports correctly the "first" time.

> As a workaround, is it possible to convert the GnuCash file into Unicode
> and use scripting languages to manipulate the transactions, then convert
> it back to its binary format?

No.  But you could use the Python bindings to write a script against the
GnuCash API and manipulate them that way.