Monthly Billings Report ? (How much business did we book/Invoice during month X)

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 21:53:17 EST 2018

In order to use SQL on the Gnucash data, it needs to be saved in that format. This requires the particular backend drivers (sqlite3, MySQL) be installed already for the format to be available as a choice in the Save As dialog. See the installation notes on the wiki for more info.

There is no built-in facility for writing queries. You’d have to access the datafile from something else.

You may be interested in PieCash which allows for accessing either the XML or SQL formatted data file for report writing. https://github.com/sdementen/piecash

Before you get started, you’ll want to look over this: https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#SQL_Database, and https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/SQL and mind the warnings never to WRITE to the data file from outside of Gnucash. (at least for the foreseeable future)

Here’s the SQL table map - yes, it’s ugly: https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/images/8/86/Gnucash_erd.png

Unless you are comfortable with Scheme, or learning a new language, your best bet is definitely to stick with the SQL/PieCash route.

Regards,
Adrien