Closing Book causes Imbalance????

replicon replicon at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 22:21:53 EST 2018

Hello,

I was closing the book for 2017, and noticed it created an Imbalance account
instead of putting things in the equity account I've selected.

Is this a new bug in GNUCash?

* Tools -> Close Book
* Closing Date: 2017-12-31
* Income Total: Equity:Book Closing Transactions
* Expense Total: Equity:Book Closing Transactions

Result:

* The 'income' transaction works fine
* The 'expense' transaction puts NOTHING into the equity account, and
instead, dumps it all into 'Imbalance-USD'. The equity account does show up
when I look at the splits, but there's nothing entered.

This is a pretty simple UI, so it's not really possible to do it wrong.
What's going on? Are there cases where this is expected behavior? (note: I
didn't have any imbalance before this)

Thanks!