How to assign transaction to accounts automatically.

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Wed Feb 21 08:54:37 EST 2018

Hans,

On Wed, February 21, 2018 8:49 am, Hans Deragon wrote:
> Thank you all for your quick responses.  It is nice to discover that
> GnuCash's mailing list is very alive.
>
> I am currently shopping for an Open Source personal financial-accounting
> software.  I do not mind the double entry, but it bugs me that I cannot
> reassign accounts at will, easily.

I would rephrase this as "cannot reassign multiple transactions at once".
You *can* easily reassign a single transaction pretty easily, but if you
want to rebalance your account tree -- you're right, it's much easier to
go from too many accounts to fewer accounts (when you delete an account
you can reassign, en-masse, all of its transactions to another account).

[snip]
> GnuCash seams missing a feature for this kind of scenario.  I would like
> to propose the following feature:
>
>   Search and Replace accounts assignments.
>
>   Dialog box that allows to search for transactions matching
>   their description with a user provided expression and allow
>   to change the accounts to which they are assigned to.
>
>   The feature should support:
>
>   - Normal and extended regular expressions (default normal).
>   - Limit search/reassignments to one or more accounts (default current
> account only).
>   - Limit search/reassignments within a time interval (default -infinty
> to +infinity).
>
> Should I open an issue against GnuCash regarding this feature request?
> Is it something the developers will consider or it goes against the
> philosophy of GnuCash?

I think it's a great idea, and I look forward to your patch or pull
request that implements it!

Welcome to GnuCash!

> Best regards,
> Hans Deragon

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745