Purpose of Accounting Period? Benefit to closing books?

Stan Brown the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm
Thu Feb 22 16:23:55 EST 2018

On 2018-02-22 14:15, Derek Atkins wrote:
> You must be reading old manuals.

I read what's on line, and what installed with 2.6.19.

> Closing the books just zeros out the Income and Expense accounts, rolling
> them up into Equity.  The reports can do this on their own, so really the
> only benefit is that your Income and Expense accounts will return to $0
> instead of showing you a grand total for the life of your use of the
> program.

OK, thanks. I think this is one of those adjustments of thinking I need
to make to do things the GnuCash way. Sounds like accounting period
should be calendar year, because I really do want to reset income and
expenses to 0 then, and I can do monthly reports in the interim.

Stan Brown
Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://BrownMath.com
http://OakRoadSystems.com