Trading Accounts for Securities

Keith Bellairs keith at bellairs.org
Thu Feb 22 21:31:09 EST 2018

When I set up a trading account for a USD stock, gnucash diligently added
transactions in the trading account for the stock and for USD. The stock
trading account simply tracks the number of shares in the account (which is
what the asset account for the stock already does). The USD trading account
shows the amount spent or received. So the trading USD account shows dollar
amounts for all stock transactions in USD. I did not see a way to set up
trading accounts for the currency side of each stock separately, but there
may well be a way.

When I sell a security I post a debit to the checking account the money
goes into, a credit to the security at the PURCHASE price. The remaining
out of balance amount is the capital gain (loss). That is pretty simple.

For a traditional IRA, I post dividends to an Income:Deferred IRA:FB
account. The income is not taxable in the current year, and at year-end I
will close it to equity. But its nice to know. No need really to track your
basis since it is all taxed as ordinary income when distributed. If you
want to keep IRA out of "income" you could just as well post the dividend
to an Equity:Deferred Income account. Then when you take a distribution you
can debit Equity:Deferred Income and credit Income:IRA Distribution.

YMMV

Keith