Report Issues (Was: Slow and crashes on Windows 7 and 8)

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 07:50:13 EST 2018

Steve,

While you replied to a thread, these items below are not part of that discussion. I’ve moved this to a new subject line.

> I have two similar main problems and suggestions:
>
> 1.      Existing standard Reports - The report editing for existing reports
> is inadequate and the addition of a logo upsets the printing layout. I have
> not been able to find a copy of Eguile to download. I would welcome a
> reference to a safe site where I can download it.

It’s included in Gnucash itself if I’m not mistaken. The exact location will vary by OS. Otherwise, I would think you’d find it as part of the source tarball.

> 2.     Custom reports - There has to be an easier way to generate custom
> reports. Using the present system is way too complicated and different
> authors seem to have different approaches.

Different authors will always have different approaches. But yes, it would be nice if reporting wasn’t such a steep learning curve. One day, when Gnucash is a proper database app, this will be much easier. In the meantime, you can take advantage of either one of the current database backends, and/or use Piecash to ease the pain. Check recent threads on this list. Someone posted examples of reporting using Piecash.

> 3.     There are several reports that are essential for a systematic takeon.
> EG I have not been able to generate a report that gives me a journal that
> contains the control accounts for customers.

I’m not sure what you mean by ‘control accounts.’  Are you using the business features? Are you processing customer payments using the ‘Process Payment’ function? If so, then you can run a Customer Report to see a ‘statement’ like overview showing all customer invoices and payments for the selected date range. (defaults to accounting period, or 1 year)

> There does not seem to be a
> link with the accounts receivable and its customers control account.
If you’ve been entering payments manually, you can use the ‘Assign as payment’ function in the context menu(right-click on transaction) so you don’t have to re-enter them.

> EG a
> bank transaction that records a receipt must be allocated to the accounts
> receivable and split to the customer.
Payments should not be split between AR and a customer. They should be split between AR and the account for the payment method, e.g.—

Dr. Assets:Cash
Cr. Assets:AR

or

Dr. Assets:Checking
Cr. Assets:AR

Generally, if you’re using the business features, you should NOT be entering transactions manually in AR or AP registers. You should use the business functions of Invoice, Bill, and Process Payment.

> I don't see the option to add a
> customer to a payment or receipt or deposit in the upload template.

If you’re importing bank transactions that include payments from customers, I’ll have to defer to someone else with this workflow. (I enter everything myself, I don’t import) But if there is no way to do this automatically, at the least, you can use the ‘Assign as payment’ function I just mentioned after the import.

> 4.     I have not been able to generate a list of required headings for bank
> account and other transactions. What I had hoped to do was to load and sort
> bank account transactions in Excel or LibreOffice but I need to know the
> essential headings.
Do you mean for importing?

Again, I’ll have to defer, but my impression was the importer lets you map the fields on the spot. But you can export your transactions to see what Gnucash labels everything. (though I don’t think you could re-import that export successfully, at least not till version 3.0 is out)

There is a page on the wiki about the format for invoices/bills and vendors/customers.