Reports balance sheet - with explicit dual currency for "$"

Wm wm_o_o_o at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 26 08:53:43 EST 2018

On 24/02/2018 18:05, Vin Ordinaire wrote:

2nd reply

> Dollars are great - pick one of many flavours
> USD,CAN,AUD,HKG,Bermuda,Singapore and about 10 others.

Aside:

For thinking flox with idle time you can decide for yourself who
invented the dollar or the symbol as they have separate histories,
similar for the pound (more varied than $ in representation) as a unit
or symbol.

My advice is use the 3 letter codes and stop being protective of the
dumb symbols.

Hint: no country owns $ as a symbol.  Got it?

> The problem is reporting a balance sheet multiple currency assets.  I
> located in the Windows version Options>Commodities>Show Foreign Currencies
> that does indeed show the "other" value in whatever currency I post the
> asset in.

Presuming you know a balance sheet is at a point in time and that you
know you have absolute control over the exchange rates your price db has
in it, I'm not seeing the problem.  If you don't like the exchange rate
change it !  This may not reflect the real world, of course :)  Most
people here are likely to suggest your view of exchange rates
approximates real world exchanges.  It is possible for unconventional
trades to exist but you probably shouldn't tell everyone about them
unless you can suggest a model.

> However, when pairing USD,CAN,AUD,HKG,Bermuda,Singapore and about 10 others,
> the "$" is highly ambiguous and confusing. I pair AUD, USD and HKG and have
> assets in all three currencies.

I'm with AdrienM in that I don't understand your use of currency
pairing, BTW.  See above about $ as a symbol being redundant.

--
Wm