variable scheduled date

Jean-David Beyer jeandavid8 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 26 17:57:36 EST 2018

On 02/26/2018 08:29 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Adrien Monteleone <adrien.monteleone at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> True, the version in EPEL7 is 2.6.18, one version back, soon to be two
>> versions back.
>>
>> I too was wondering the issue, now I see that essentially, nothing
>> ever gets back-ported for RHEL, so newer RPMs can’t pull in
>> dependencies because they don’t exist in the older repositories. They
>> can provide 10 years of support, because it’s essentially frozen.
>>
>> Your experience and explanation makes me glad I never tried RHEL.
> RHEL is a great server platform.
> It SUCKS as a desktop platform.

> I would question why Jean-David chose it for a desktop, because it's
> really not designed for that.  It is designed for long-term stability,
> which is exactly counter to being able to frequently upgrade to new
> software.

I mainly chose RHEL for my desktop when it was running servers as well
as the usual desktop applications. I had been running the regular Red
Hat Unix versions up to 7.3. I tried Red Hat 9 and it did not run IBM
DB2 very well, that I needed for database work. I started tunning RHEL3
on one machine and upgraded another machine to CentOS 4.

One reason I keep running RHEL is just because I cannot stand having to
update Fedora systems so often. The minor updates are usually OK, but
when a new release comes out, it takes way too much time to install and
configure it. It inly takes a couple of hours to install the software,
but it usually takes me about a month to get it all configured
correctly. And when the releases are now SELinux, getting that right ...
. Well if you have done it, you know what I mean. And if you have not,
good luck to you.

> Besides, who keeps (desktop) computers for 10 years?  I refresh my
> laptop every 3.

I keep them that long. I kept my first machine 14 years, but after four
years, I added a second computer and networked them together, and after
another four years, I built yet another and kept it until the power
supply exploded (at about years old). Until that happened, it was
working just fine but by then the power supply was so obsolete that I
could not find any with the right power and the right connections.

I donated the oldest one to someone who used it for some parts (very
good dial-up modem when I no longer needed modems). The next one I
junked (dual 550 MHz Pentium III processors, 512 Megabytes RAM). I
thought about upping the RAM, but decided against that because those
processors were just too slow.I only kept it around because I had a
Windows XP license for it to do my taxes on it.

My current machine is 64-bits, has a 4-core Xeon processor, 8 GBytes
RAM. The mother board will take two Xeon processors, 512 GBytes RAM. At
one time, I might have needed that, but right now I sure do not.

  /V\  PGP-Key:166D840A 0C610C8B Registered Machine  1935521.
 /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey    http://linuxcounter.net
 ^^-^^ 17:40:01 up 32 days, 6:37, 2 users, load average: 4.22, 4.25, 4.43