Building 2.6.19 on Ubuntu Xenial

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 18:49:04 EST 2018

I’m setting up an Ubuntu Xenial machine for a family member and I’d like to put Gnucash on it. The Xenial repos are dated to 2.6.12, a bit too stale.

I’d like to put 2.6.19 on it, but the instructions on the wiki are for 2.8(3.0) and I don’t know if these are still valid for the 2.6 series.

Will that procedure also work for 2.6.19? (and which is better to use Autotools or CMake?) I won’t be using the build tools for anything else, save maybe an update to 3.0 when it is released. (or more likely not until 3.1 or so) I’d like to set him up with an sqlite backend if that makes a difference. (I see a note on the wiki about Autotools being for the XML backend)

Should I use the Trusty instructions instead?

The last time I built a stable version was Precise, anything I built recently was the 2.7 branch.

Or is there a better way to obtain the most up-to-date version for Xenial? (GetDeb only has 2.6.17 as of today)

Thanks for any tips and advice.

Regards,
Adrien