Liabilities / Accounts

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Tue Feb 27 06:34:13 EST 2018

On Tuesday, 27 February 2018 11:20:21 GMT you wrote:
> Maf King
>
> Thank you for responding.
> Under liabilities we have listed an account Rent due (which is listed in
> Parent Account under Liabilities and under Account type Liability) when I
> enter a value in the Journal enteries I get two enteries the same entry
> under Increase and Decrease and zero in the balance column, is it I 've set
> it up wrong.
>
> Thank you
> James

Hi James,

Don't forget to reply to the list too, others may be able to help better than
me, and this conversation may benefit someone else in the future too.

The set up sound correct.  It sounds like you may not be entering the
transaction properly. (look at the GC concept guide about using a credit card
- chapter 7.  this is a conceptually very similar situation, just you are
acting as your own card until you pay the rent)

your weekly transaction should be between liability and expense, then when you
pay the bill once per month, the transfer is from the Bank Account to the
liability (so the liability goes back to zero)

HTH,
Maf.