Building 2.6.19 on Ubuntu Xenial

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Wed Feb 28 03:47:02 EST 2018

Op woensdag 28 februari 2018 02:54:09 CET schreef Adrien Monteleone:
> Indeed, following a combination of the Trusty instructions and then part of
> the sequence for Autotools from the 2.8 instructions did the trick, without
> incident or missing dependencies. (I slightly modified the exact wiki
> commands because I wanted the sqlite3 backend, and AqBanking)
>
> I guess I was prematurely unsure of the result.
>
> Now just to make a custom launcher for Unity…
>
> Thanks for the help!
> ----------
>
> For posterity, I used the following command sequence:
>
> sudo apt build-dep gnucash
> sudo apt install libdbd-sqlite3
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/bin/gnucash --enable-compile-warnings
> --with-html-engine=webkit make
> sudo make install
>
> The app launched fine.
>
> If anyone knows of any problems with this approach, please advise,
> otherwise, this is done.

The --prefix should not be the path to your executable. What you create with
your prefix is a directory structure like this:
/usr/local/bin/gnucash/bin (with executable gnucash and so on)
/usr/local/bin/gnucash/lib/....
/usr/local/bin/gnucash/etc/....
/usr/local/bin/gnucash/share/....

Where you most likely would want something like this:
/usr/local/bin (with executable gnucash and so on)
/usr/local/lib/....
/usr/local/etc/....
/usr/local/share/....

For the latter you should set the prefix to /usr/local.

We also generally recommend not to install in prefix /usr or /usr/local as
both are treated special at runtime. In particular, if you install in /usr/
local, make sure there's not another gnucash version installed in /usr.
Otherwise you will get unexpected results. For this reason we usually suggest
to install into /opt/gnucash (for multi-user environments) or even simply in
$HOME/gnucash (for single user environments).

The option --with-html-engine does nothing any more in the 2.6 series, so it
can be dropped.

And while for you particular case this should be fine, we generally recommend
not building directly into the source tree, but rather in a separate build
directory. That helps solving many small annoyances one could otherwise
encounter. The separate build directory is to be either a hidden directory in
the source tree or any directory outside of it.
Personally I usually have something like this:
<base>/<sourcetree>
<base>/<builddir>

With this the commands would become
sudo apt build-dep gnucash
sudo apt install libdbd-sqlite3
(get a copy of the sources in <base>/<sourcetree> before the next step)
cd <base>/<sourcetree>
./autogen.sh
cd <base>/<builddir>
<base>/<sourcetree>/configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-compile-warnings
make
sudo make install

Regards,

Geert