upgrading GNUcash on Ubuntu

Steve Cohen stevecoh2 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 18:47:08 EST 2018

Been using gnucash for more than 6 months and I was wondering if there's
an upgrade.  I'm using Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS and they only support gnucash
1:2.6.1-2.  The GNUcash website recommends going with what the
distribution provides, but I wonder if there are new features I'd be
interested in in the latest version.

Has anyone done the Gnucash upgrade this way?  Is there info anywhere
about doing it?  I'm technical enough to pull it off.  Is it worth it?
Are there release notes I might look at that would tell me whether I
even want to do it?

Thanks