Company sponsored stock plan

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at dialup4less.com
Mon Jan 1 17:36:20 EST 2018

On 1/1/2018 4:01 PM, Klaus Dahlke wrote:

>> Stop --- this advice depends on jurisdiction (in the US, the
>> contributions if "pretax" are taxed only at distribution time many years
>> down the road). But there may be other complications. The employer
>> contribution is usually "conditional" becoming vested over time.
>>
>>    Accounting for a 401k is complicated.
>>
> Acutally, I am not sure whether Wolfgang is engaged in a 401k plan or he just enjoyes 'share based compensation' as in my case (not unusual these days in Germany). The company shares I buy I can sell the next day I have acces to. Wolfgang mentioned reporting in Euro, so my inital guess was that it is plain 'share based compensation'.
I did say "depends on jurisdiction".

  And we have "share based compensation" here in the US too. And that
MAY be like you described "I can sell the next day" or maybe not (not
until a certain amount of time has passed) and there might be other
complications like given OPTIONS to purchase shares (so things like
value of option till exercised or expired -- and shares so purchased
MIGHT also have restrictions on sale attached). I suspect that at least
some of the complications I just described might exist in Europe as well
as other places.

But do note, ONE of the possibilities for 401k plans here IS
contributions of company stock. A 401k does not HAVE to offer a wide
range of investment options.

Michael