How to deal with RRSP's (Canada)

Cam Ellison cam at ellisonet.ca
Wed Jan 3 01:00:15 EST 2018

On 02/01/18 06:52 PM, DaveC49 wrote:
> Larry
>
> If your withdrawals from the RRSP are taxable on withdrawal then I think
> your approach of using two files recording transfers to your bank account
> from the RRSP as Expenses in the RRSP account and  Income in your main
> accounts should work fine as it will satisfy the accounting equation in both
> files without any conflicts and will keep Gnucash happy.
>
> With both the RRSP and your bank accounts in a single file, the decrease of
> an asset (RRSP) is a credit to that account and an increase in Income (which
> it would have to be to record it as income for taxation) is also a credit to
> the income account in that same file, which would not be a balanced
> transaction in which the sum of debits and credits is zero.

For me, the RRSPs have been converted to Income Funds, but the principle
and procedure are still the same. Contribution is straightforward: from
a Current Asset account to the RRSP, like this:

Assets:Current Assets:Chequing Account        $5,000
Assets:Investments:RRSP                $5,000

Withdrawal is more complex, because you have to show Income, Withholding
Tax, the receiving Account, and the RRSP account, so using an Equity
account for RSP/RIF withdrawals is needed to balance, like this:

Assets:Investments:RRSP                                $5,000
Assets:Current Assets:Chequing    $3,500
Expenses:Taxes:Income Tax            $1,500
Income:RRSP $5,000
Equity:RSP/RIF                                $5,000

At any rate, that's how I do it. YMMV.

Cheers

Cam