Sorting options for Credit Card account

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jan 3 13:17:19 EST 2018

Hi,

"John Rogers" <gt2379c at gmail.com> writes:

> I have a rather active credit card account (approximately 6 charges per day)
> that I'm trying to keep in sync with my bank.   I enter the transactions as
> I see the receipts.   I also mark the transaction in the Reconcile column
> from n to c when I see it has cleared my bank's website.   I have the sort
> order set to Statement Date.  This seems to do what I want in that it does
> move the transactions that have been cleared to the top and the ones that
> are not cleared to the bottom.   However, the issue is that let's say that I
> put in 6 transactions for 12/22/2017 in the register in a random order.   2
> of them have cleared and I have set them to a c.   They show at the top.
> However, the Balance that shows on the right side shows the balance in the
> order the transactions were entered, not by the cleared status.   Is there
> any way to show the transaction AND balance by the cleared status ?

The short answer is no.

The balance is a split-parameter computed based on the standard sort
order.  Changing the sort order does not recompute the balance entries.
The balance is not "computed", because we don't want to show the
"incorrect" balance if you're only showing a subset of transactions.

> See attached screenshot.   The balance after adding in 26.34 to 1089.83
> should be 1116.17.   However, it shows 1250.34 which I'm assuming is several
> of the other [un-cleared] transactions as well.

Correct.