Income Statement report to show loan paydown amount?

Tj Junior tjjunior222 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 13:40:58 EST 2018

Wondering if this is possible, the income statement appears to be the
closest I've been able to find.  Looking to find a summary of income and
expenses summarized (e.g total over 1 year rather than by transaction), but
I'd like it to show what's paid towards loans as well.  The income portion
is already there, it's the expense portion I'm having trouble with.

Income summarized for a period:
Salary
Bonus
etc

Expenses summarized over the same period:
Mortgage interest
Mortgage principal
Insurance
Groceries
etc

I can get it to show the mortgage interest portion easily as it's just an
expense account, but is it possible to also show the decrease in the loan
principal without manually calculating it outside of the report?  The
tricky part seems to be that a payment against a loan account should show
as the lowering of outstanding principal, but payment against a credit card
account should show just the expense account items in that account (not a
lowering of the outstanding total credit).  Would love any thoughts or
suggestions!