customizing reports

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 12:28:51 EST 2018

I’ve seen such a report your describe in other software, but only for one customer at a time and only as an indicator of “y/n” as to if a regular monthly payment was made, not the actual amount. I don’t think such a report currently exists that displays the info the way you prefer. You’d have to write your own report. (daunting indeed)

There are options to writing a report from scratch, but they aren’t much better with respect to learning curve.

If you are using the MySQL backend, you could query the database directly and use the results of the query in a report.

I think there is also something called PyCash that will allow you to access some data from outside GnuCash using Python which you could then use to generate the report you want.

Otherwise, the reports that are available include the Customer Report & Receivable Aging report.

The Customer Report will show each invoice and payment (done through the business features) for any specified period. But this is one customer at a time. Think of it as a Statement of Account.

The Receivable Aging report will show all customers, but shows you which ones are late (30 days, 60 days, etc.) Again, this pulls data through the use of the business features only. (you’ll need to be issuing invoices and processing payments)

If you aren’t up for writing a report either directly for GnuCash or outside of it using SQL queries or Python, you can always track what you want in a spreadsheet separately.

There is one other option that will at least display if an invoice is paid or not so you can see if any customers missed a payment. You can do an invoice search to show all invoices which will give you a list of all of your invoices with a checkbox column that shows if they are paid or not. However, this list will show each invoice per line (instead of each customer as you requested) and the list is not exportable, best I can tell. To show all invoices change the search criteria to “matches regex” and use a “.” as the search term.

Regards,
Adrien