Finance::Quote on a Mac

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Jan 12 10:28:59 EST 2018

> On Jan 12, 2018, at 7:22 AM, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:
>

>> On Jan 10, 2018, at 6:51 PM, Benny Webster <benny.webster at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi there, Im having trouble setting up Finance::Quote… Documentation states it should have installed on a Mac but that does not seem to be the case. I have found FinanceQuote Update but when I try to run it it doesn’t work. Im new to GnuCash and just trying to set things up. Not too good at figuring things out on my own but should be able to follow any instructions. Perhaps an uninstall/reinstall of GnuCash? would just want to make sure my file stays intact…
>>
>> Any advice or links to documentation would be helpful. Sorry for the trouble.
>
> Open Applications:Utilities:Terminal and at the command line enter:
>  sudo /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnc-fq-update
>
> You’ll be prompted for your password and may get some questions to which you can just select the default by pressing <return>.

Oh, and I tested Update Finance Quote on High Sierra. It works fine but it’s a bit non-obvious: It opens Terminal behind other windows and waits for you to enter your password there. If you’ve run it you should find a Terminal instance in your dock that you can click to bring it up. From there it should proceed the same as the terminal instructions above. Note that it expects to be in the same directory as a Gnucash instance and that you’re logged in to an administrator account--the latter is also the case for the command line instructions above.

Regards,
John Ralls