Read only transactions

Cliff McDiarmid cliffhanger at gardener.com
Sun Jan 14 07:04:24 EST 2018

         Sent: Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 5:22 PM
   From: "Colin Law" <clanlaw at gmail.com>
   To: "Cliff McDiarmid" <cliffhanger at gardener.com>
   Cc: gnucash-user at gnucash.org
   Subject: Re: Read only transactions
   On 13 January 2018 at 17:12, Cliff McDiarmid <cliffhanger at gardener.com>
   wrote:

   > >Sent: Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 4:58 PM
   > >From: "Colin Law" <clanlaw at gmail.com>
   > >To: "Cliff McDiarmid" <cliffhanger at gardener.com>
   > .Cc: gnucash-user at gnucash.org
   > >Subject: Re: Read only transactions
   > >On 10 January 2018 at 19:21, Cliff McDiarmid
   <cliffhanger at gardener.com> wrote:

   >> Hi
   >>
   >> I still haven't sorted my Quicken import, getting the correct
   balances
   >> without a 'balance adjustment' is difficult.
   >

   > >Add (or adjust) an appropriate opening balance.
   >

   >> But the question is: How do i delete an account when it contains
   read
   >> only transactions? I know i can move the transactions elsewhere, but
   >> need to delete the accounts.
   >

   > >What do you mean by read only transactions?
   >
   > Well I assume, as in Linux, that one cannot write to or change these
   files.

   > >When you delete an account that contains transactions it should ask
   you which account you want to move them to.

   > Yes, that's right it does. But it won't let me delete the account
   altogether, because the account contains read only transactions. Other
   accounts I've deleted have given one the option of moving the files as
   you say or deleting them entirely.
   >All the accounts are in one file, so if you have read access to the
   >file then it is not a permissions issue. How are you trying to delete
   >the account and exactly what do you see when you try to delete it?
   I right click on the account and select delete account.   I get a box
   that gives me two options. To move the transactions and to delete them,
   but the delete option is greyed out.  The message in the same box
   says:  'This account contains read-only transactions which may not be
   deleted'

   Cliff