Correcting Opening Balances

Richard Claeys rclaeys at accesscom.com
Mon Jan 15 12:32:00 EST 2018

Thank you for the responses to date.  I will work on the bank accounts
first, then go back to the manual for direction before turning to investment
accounts.

Here is an example of what I am encountering:  One of the accounts that
popped up after the conversion from Quicken is a credit card that I dropped
in 1998; when I click on "Delete Account" I receive a response along the
lines of "Do you want to combine this with credit card xxxx?"  Apparently
the double-entry accounting doesn't allow me to simply dispose of accounts
that no longer exist.

And as mentioned before, both our bank accounts are inflated by a factor of
10.  Can I just go back to January 1, 2018 and enter a fresh Opening Balance
that matches our printed statements?  Or is there another way to reset
balances without reinstalling and starting from scratch?

I will be out of town a few days and will not be working on cleaning up
GnuCash until next week, so no rush....but I could sure use some help in
getting the program in sync with our actual financial statements.

Thanks again,

Richard Claeys