Installing GnuCash using GoDaddy MySQL Server

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Jan 16 10:34:52 EST 2018

> On Jan 15, 2018, at 10:34 PM, Jim_S <James at StovesFamily.US> wrote:
>
> I am trying to install gnuCash using a MySQL database hosted by GoDaddy.  We
> also use GoDaddy for our WordPress web page, so I already have the hosting
> account.  GnCash keeps giving me an error "The server at URL
> mysql://GnuCash@GnuCash.db.3879949.hostedresource.com/GnuCash experienced an
> error or encountered bad or corrupt data.".
>
> I must create the database through GoDaddy's page as GnuCash.  It makes the
> user name the same as the dbname.  GoDaddy assigns a host name of
> "GnuCash.db.3879949.hostedresource.com".  I put in "GnuCash" for both the
> database name and the user name, and enter the password I've selected.
>
> Any help??

It’s connecting OK or it wouldn’t have gotten that far.

That error is emitted during save if, during a transaction INSERT or UPDATE it fails to either find or INSERT the commodity. Check your database logs to see why and correct the problem if you can. If you can’t you’ll have to find a different solution.

You do realize, though, that by using a remote database and then advertising your database URI you’ve invited the whole net to try to break your password and mess with your financial data.

Regards,
John Ralls