Correcting Opening Balances

Richard Claeys rclaeys at accesscom.com
Tue Jan 16 12:50:54 EST 2018

Tommy, this is very helpful and confirms some of my hunches going into tax time.

So far I have only moved six or so years of Quicken to my GnuCash archives.  I want to go through tax season before adding anything else.  Renaming and moving the older files should work best for me, although I am tempted to hide some of the inactive accounts, such as closed credit cards and sold securities.  I understand better now the relationship between the cards and the bank accounts used to pay off balances.

This is a big help and I agree with you that I’ll need more time and practice—plus some time with our tech consultant—before deleting anything of substance.  Overall, I see the value of GnuCash and just have to get used to its different features and requirements after more than two decades with Quicken.

Thank you again,

Richard Claeys