Filtered account report

AC gnucash at acarver.net
Tue Jan 16 18:07:57 EST 2018

On 2018-01-16 05:48, Mike or Penny Novack wrote:
> On 1/16/2018 3:04 AM, AC wrote:
>> Thanks but not exactly simple in my case as there are over 1000
>> transactions to the loan interest expense account.  The report was
>> mainly for my own curiosity which is why I'd rather use an algorithmic
>> method to generate the report.
> This is an important point (what David just said)
>
> With any of these accounting packages you have to plan the CoA so that
> the information you need will be available. Essentially what you are
> saying is:
>
> "I did not design the CoA in such a way (a parent "loan interest" under
> which children "loan 1 interest", "loan 2 interest", ......) that I
> could see the interest for each loan separately. How can I NOW obtain
> that information?"
>
> The simple answer is, you can't. But that leads to a discussion about
> being alert to changes needed in our books. Such changes might be easy
> at the time but very difficult later. Using this situation as an
> example, you might have started out with just one loan, so natural to
> have just "loan interest". It is when first entering transactions
> related to a second loan that we need to notice "oops, won't be able to
> track the interest of the two loans separately" and so you:
> 1) rename "loan interest" to "loan 1 interest"
> 2) create parent account (placeholder) "loan interest"
> 3) make "loan 1 interest" a child of this account.
> 4) create "loan 2 interest" a child of this account.
> If you realized this fairly speedily after loan 2 came into existence,
> not a lot of work re-entering transactions. But if you wait till there
> are hundreds or thousands that would need to be fixed .........

Yes except that's not how things started or ended up.  Many of the
transactions are from before GnuCash so they are historical records that
imported that way.  Second, I really wasn't paying attention to the
interest in any way other than to record it for record keeping as part
of a transaction mainly because I was more interested in the portion of
the payment that went to the principal and tracking the remaining amount
of payoff.

There were already over 500 transactions at the time I imported into
GnuCash for the first time.  So it's a bit off base to suggest I should
have "paid attention" when setting up the CoA when I didn't have a CoA
due to the original software.  I was lucky enough to get it to import
with few errors as is.

However, I was able to do it anyway without modifying the account
structure.  I just dumped the table and parsed it externally.