Installing GnuCash using GoDaddy MySQL Server

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Jan 16 23:20:56 EST 2018

> On Jan 16, 2018, at 2:45 PM, Jim_S <James at StovesFamily.US> wrote:
>
> When you say to check the database logs, is that on the server or on the PC?

I guess that depends on how you’ve configured your database logging, eh? You’re the DBA, not me.

Reminder: Users of the MySQL and Postgresql backends are expected to be experienced administrators of their database server or to have such an experienced administrator in their employ. We don’t, and can’t, provide support for database operations.

GnuCash will create the database if it’s not there already. It’s also supposed to create the tables if necessary, and if it doesn’t it should raise an error about that. See https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Tracefile <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Tracefile> for how to find GnuCash’s log file. You may find it useful to run GnuCash from the command line and pass --log gnc.backend.dbi=debug --log gnc.backend.sql=debug, which will add a *lot* of detail to the log about GnuCash’s interaction with the database. That, combined with the database logs, should give a very clear picture of what’s going wrong and why.

Regards,
John Ralls