gnucash 2.6.19 dutch translation

Paul de Vries paul.de.vries at xs4all.nl
Thu Jan 18 20:27:04 EST 2018

> On 19 Jan 2018, at 01:47, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:
> On Jan 18, 2018, at 11:34 AM, Paul de Vries <paul.de.vries at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>>
>>> guncash 2.6.19 on mac osx
>>> defaults write -app Gnucash AppleLanguages '(nl,en)'
>>>
>>> on the tax invoice report options there are some missing translations in koptekst2:
>>>
>>> tekst factuurnummer: Invoice number
>>> aan-tekst: To
>>> kenmerk-tekst: Your ref
>>> tekst opdrachtnummer: Job number
>>> tekst opdrachtnaam: Job name
>>>
>>> other messages are in ./Contents/Resources/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/gnucash.mo
>>> in the download there are no *.po files so i cannot generate a new *.mo
>>> on github there is a .po for "Project-Id-Version: gnucash-2.6.18\n".
>>
>> these texts are available in po/nl.po from github.
>> i did the conversion: msgfmt -v po/nl.po -o /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/gnucash.mo
>> and restarted gnucash.
>>
>> the texts are still not translated.
>>
>> what did i do wrong?
>> what should i do to correct?
>

> The nl.po in GitHub is the same one that's baked into 2.6.19, so recompiling it isn't going to change anything. From a brief look at the code it appears that the strings are marked for extraction to msgids in report/business-report/taxinvoice.scm but that gettext isn't actually called on them... but it's option text and the option system is pretty convoluted so I might have missed it.
>
> For anyone else looking into this the strings are defined at taxinvoice.scm lines 225-234.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

1) sorry for my misunderstanding:

from gnu cash.org download mac osx intel
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/gnucash/Gnucash-Intel-2.6.19-1.dmg

ls -l /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/gnucash.mo.bkp
-rw-r--r--@ 1 paul  admin  509687 Dec 17 17:31 /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/gnucash.mo.bkp

from git clone
https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash.git

ls -l  ~/Develop/gnucash/gnucash/po/nl.po
-rw-r--r--  1 paul  staff  968123 Jan 19 01:54 /Users/paul/Develop/gnucash/gnucash/po/nl.po

i think that they are NOT the same.

2) my question remains:

i made an insignificat change to the .po, run mnsgfmt and copy the .mo to the app.
i verified that the change is present in the app .mo
it is not pcied up by gnu cash.

i still dont understand how to do it right. please explain.
if you say that the option system doesnt use the .mo please explain how other option texts do get translated.

-paul.