Trial balance and currencies

Nicolas Haller gnucash at boiteameuh.org
Sat Jan 20 20:06:35 EST 2018

Hello there,

First thing, thank a lot for developing and maintaining GnuCash. It's a
great software, I'm very glad to have a serious tool to keep track on my
accounts.

Some weeks ago, I find out about trial balance and trading accounts. My
trial balance report showed that my books were unbalanced. So I
activated the trading accounts and did modify the transactions
accordingly. But still, the trial balance is not good.

I'm a French guy living in Canada and I travel sometime to the US, so I
deal with CAD, EUR and USD accounts. I suspect the "forex" operations to
unbalance the trial balance report.

I've created a new file to check what happens if I transfer and convert
some cash between a CAD and a EUR accounts and transfer it back with a
different exchange rate. In that case, the balance is off by the
profit/loss done on the operation.

For profit/loss on a stock, I would have taken it into account by using
the Actions->View Lots tool to create an entry. But I'm not sure it is
feasible for currencies.

Any idea?

Thanks,

--