Bank reconciliation question

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 05:46:12 EST 2018

On 24 January 2018 at 10:31, David Goodenough <
david.goodenough at linkchoose.co.uk> wrote:

> A community association for which I am treasurer for recently had someone
> succeed in
> getting our bank to open a Direct Debit on our account without our
> authorisation.
> They took 4 payments before we noticed, and now the DD has been cancelled
> and the
> money refunded.  We use GnuCash to manage the association's money.
>
> How do we reconcile this?  I know how to reconcile a pay transaction
> against an
> invoice, but here I need to reconcile four payments for which there are no
> invoices
> against one receipt.  We have already imported the OFX file with the four
> payments in
> it (which is when we noticed them), and will shortly import a subsequent
> one with the
> re-payment in it.

You could just enter them (and the refund) against one of your expense
accounts, expense:miscellaneous or whatever you put small items against, or
invent a new expense acct Expenses:BankErrors or something.  Since it will
go out and then back in again it will have no effect on the end result.

Colin