Future allocated money vs Budgets

Matt Graham matt_graham2001 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 26 01:22:58 EST 2018

😊 You beat me to the punch on a couple of things. Yes, I have the tendency to over-complicate. I think there needs to be a simple way to do what people want though...

I started plotting things out more and came to similar conclusions.

First, when I say “fake” I mean “not corresponding to physical money – cash, account balance etc”. You’re right, its bad terminology, and I like the way you think of accounts as just a “thing”.

Second, I have tried a number of other programs for my financial needs. All of them have various advantages and disadvantages. So with no clear winner, I thought I’d try to make GNUCash better...

“Categories” is a vague word and risks things getting complicated. Perhaps all of this allocation of money concept would work best if GNUCash introduced “categories” purely for allocation? Applications where we are allocating things on the side without actually changing our accounts? Lets keep that aside and see if it works once we agree on everything else – sounds complicated (and I cringe at adding a new ‘semi-account’ type).

Thinking about things further (and trying it) I agree 100% that liabilities aren’t involved. Allocating money to something decreases the amount of cash (agree with your term – LET “cash” = “liquid assets”), which would correspond to a decreased liability... Makes no sense having negative liabilities. My bad.

I tried fiddling with equity as you (tentatively) suggested too, but this didn’t really make sense either. You end up with negative equity accounts showing how much you have to spend...

So yes – I agree It is asset to asset... Decreasing cash available (asset) is balanced by increasing cash to spend on a purpose later (asset).

Creating a sub-account to your physical cash or bank account to track allocated money is only good if you are always going to spend out of that account. If I’m tracking my spending money from my bank account, but then spend out of my cash on spending money...
Dr increase Expense
Cr decrease physical cash I used to pay
Cr decrease the amount in that sub account – gets it out of that sub account....
Dr increase the amount in parent account – puts it back in the parent...
It works, I guess, but just seems weird transferring balance between the child and parent like this.

So they way I’m thinking of trialling is having a separate asset account “Allocated Assets” (separate from Current and Fixed assets). That way when allocating money the decrease (cr) in current assets (an account I’ve put as “Money Allocated”) is balanced by the increase (dr) in the specific “Allocated Assets”:”Spending Money” account.
Spending is the same as above, but the increase to make  “Money Allocated” less negative is balanced by the decrease in the relevant Allocated assets account....

Of course, all of this still means i’m entering four lines for one expenditure. The good news is that I only really have four accounts that involve allocated money like this (2 spending money, Holiday, and restaurant/café spending). Since all of this is a very common application for most personal users, I’m wondering if there is an easier way – “categories” defined against an expense account that just track how much you have “allocated” to that purpose? Would need both aspects – viewing “how much I have left” to spend for that purpose (budget line item?), but also ensuring “I have the money in my accounts to be able to buy it”. That all sounds too complicated – it would be easier to allow the user to tag an expense account, and have GNUCash automatically maintain the necessary “Allocated” asset accounts...

I don’t think I am overthinking too far though, purely because it seems like a common thing people want. Hence, solution required... Philosophy of accounting tells us that this kind of allocation is: double entry on Asset/Asset when allocating, two double entries (Asset/Expense and Asset/Asset) when spending.

Hmmm.... Same conclusion as before – I’m going to try it out for a while before suggesting any program changes...

Thanks and regards,

Matt