Reconcile unusable

Ronal B Morse ron at morsehouse.com
Sun Jan 28 01:36:16 EST 2018

On 01/27/2018 11:26 PM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> On 28/01/18 05:50, Ronal B Morse wrote:
>> On 01/27/2018 07:20 AM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
>>> With gnucash 2.6.17 on ubuntu 17.10 I cannot do anything with the
>>> reconcile screen.  Clicking anywhere to do anything always takes me
>>> back to the main screen, I can't even close it.  It doesn't make any
>>> difference whether or not I make changes on the "Reconcile
>>> information" screen.  I've tried restarting my laptop to no avail.
>>> Several searches have revealed nothing obvious.  Any ideas as this
>>> is very frustrating? Do I need to raise a bug report or is there one
>>> all ready that my searches missed?
>>>
>> Mark, I'm on Ubuntu 17.10 and I'm not seeing this issue...the
>> reconcile screen and associated functions work fine.
>>
>> Do you know if you are using the Wayland screen renderer or the old
>> X-org. X11 renderer?  if you're not sure, restart Ubuntu and on the
>> screen where you enter your user password there is a little gear icon
>> near the password dialog box.  Click on that. One of the choices that
>> appear will mention Wayland, another will mention X-org.  There may
>> be others, depending upon the video in your computer.
>>
>> Anyway, I believe that Ubuntu may default to using Wayland. That
>> should be indicated in the dialog.  Select the X.org option and
>> continue your normal login.  See if the problem with the reconcile
>> screen persists.
>>
>> Ron Morse
>>

> Problem solved by following the above, thanks for such a fast
> response, and over the weekend as well :)

Happy to be the one that helps, for a change.

n.b., the Wayland renderer has proven problematic for Ubuntu on a number
of fronts (i.e., it's buggier than a rain forest). So much so that the
next version, 18.4, due in April, will go back to using the X-Org.
rendering system as the default.  Wayland will still be available, it
just won't be automatically selected during the installation like it is
for 17.10.

Ron Morse