Subaccounts [WAS Re: Future allocated money vs Budgets]

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 23:20:03 EST 2018

Matt,

What Mike was talking about with Liabilities was with respect to ‘reserve’ or ‘restricted’ funds. In the case of non-profits taking donations that can be earmarked
those funds have to be legally separated and cannot be used for any desired purpose.

As well, ‘deposits’ which are pre-payments set aside for particular purpose can’t be thrown into a general funds pool. (you might have to refund them if you don’t deliver the requested goods or services)

But both of those cases are real life liabilities.

The funds don’t ‘belong’ to whomever received them unless and until they are used for the appropriate purpose.

While what we are discussing is somewhat similar in concept, in real life, there is no actual liability incurred by not wanting to spend all you have and not save for vacation or the occasional night on the town, so using that type of account, while mathematically possible, isn’t necessarily the best idea to model what’s going on in the real world.

Regards,
Adrien