File Format : XML v MySQL / postgres / sqllite

cicko alen.siljak at gmx.com
Mon Jan 29 03:21:41 EST 2018

Hi, David,

Whether PyCash is for an average user really depends on what you consider
the average user to be. It is a Python library and, if you don't expect an
average user to know how to write Python code then no - it is not for an
average user.
What it offers, though, is a pure Python interface to a GnuCash book, which
needs to be stored in SQL format. This makes it cross-platform and takes the
compilation of custom GnuCash binaries out of the loop (definitely not for
an average user). Until Python bindings are complete and available on all
platforms, it is a wonderful alternative way to read your data and generate
any sort of report or action (I like to see the upcoming scheduled
transactions without starting GnuCash and eventually trigger some action).
In addition, it allows writing data, too, but one has to be well aware that
this is raw access to data and excludes any GnuCash business logic and
validations with the checks and balances that guarantee the consistency of
the records. It is a 3rd party component from the GnuCash point of view and
does not have any endorsement or support by GnuCash. Writing data for some
simple cases, or when you know exactly what you are doing (by checking the
GnuCash source, for example) is fine. I.e. I have a price importer for
Vanguard Australia retail funds and exchange rates. Somehow I find it easier
to implement the custom logic in Python than install another platform and
the system for downloading prices, which for some reason I also had issues
setting up.
Once you know what PieCash does, and check the great documentation with
examples, you can decide if it would help you with what you are trying to
achieve.
Cheers