Subaccounts [WAS Re: Future allocated money vs Budgets]

Matt Graham matt_graham2001 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 30 18:05:33 EST 2018

Again, thank you Adrien for being patient with me. I’m probably getting myself confused too, but I’m starting to get more and more clear on it all. I know I’m definitely weird, and whilst I think the purpose I have is common, the way I use it probably isn’t.

We have some different assumptions going on.

Lets start with sub-accounts. Sub-accounts are a great way to do it – if you spend from that sub-account at least most of the time. We have discussed how to handle the splits when you spend from a different account and want to record it against that allocation, so it works, and probably works well (although would be very confusing for beginners to get their head around initially).

But instead of using a sub-account to record the money that has been segmented, what if I use a completely separate account? Why? Because I don’t want to touch the balances of my core asset accounts – the ones that correspond to bank accounts or physical cash. Maybe this is my silly desire of mine. There is nothing wrong (or difficult) with adding virtual sub-accounts, because gnucash is really good at handling sub-accounts (with the reconciliation stuff we talked about). So now I need a new location in the hierarchy to store my allocated money – best done as an asset, and since it isn’t a sub-account, it needs to be balanced with another account (also best done as an asset). We’ll get to your example in a minute.

Assumption 2: That I only (or mainly) segment cash when I receive it. Probably true for most people, and I’m glad you mentioned it because I should use that for most of the examples when I write something up for the tutorials and concepts guide. That isn’t how I work. I plan everything out in advance to make sure I have the cash flow. I allocate to various purposes on the first day of the month, rather than allocating by pay. I do this so that I get a regular and measureable allocation to things I want to spend on (restaurants & Cafes, spending money, etc). I can afford to do this because I am very (very very very) good with sticking to a budget and savings in general. So I just make sure I have more money in my account than I plan to spend that month (transferring the rest away to investments or to reduce my loans), and I have no cashflow problems. So for me, I want to do an allocation on the start of every month, that doesn’t correspond to income. No real problem. Still, lets carry on with your example of allocating out of pay:

If, rather than a sub-account, I use a separate asset account then there is no balancing Cr to an asset to increase the allocation. In your example, you had a balancing Cr on the parent when you allocated the money. So, we receive a $1000 pay check, and want to allocate $500 to the four accounts:
Cr Income: Salary $1000
Dr Asset:Current:Checking $1000
Cr Asset:Current:AllocatedCash $500
Dr. Assets:Allocated:Vacation    $250
Dr. Assets:Allocated:Insurance   $150
Dr. Assets:Allocated:Dining      $ 50
Dr. Assets:Allocated:Coffee&Tea  $ 50

So at the end of this, the income and Checking accounts haven’t been touched by the allocation process. They are the same as they would be if we didn’t use any allocation, $1000 each and balanced. The “Asset:Current:Allocated Cash” account that started at $0 has been reduced by $500, and now is negative. Since this is a current asset, I can see in the current assets total exactly how much total money I have that can be spent. The negative shows me that I have $500 allocated away, so I shouldn’t spend the full $1000 in Checking. The Assets:Allocated accounts all have the amounts that can be allocated.

Now I want to go out to lunch and spend $20 out of checking:
Dr. Expenses:Dining                     $20
Cr. Assets:Current:Checking:Dining         $20
Cr Assets:Allocated:Dining $20
Dr Assets:Current:AllocatedCash $20

So after this transaction, the amounts in checking and the expense are as you’d expect (again, no change from if you didn’t use allocations). The Current assets have been increased – become less negative, because I have $20 less now allocated to Dining out. So there is now less money that I am telling myself “can’t be spent”, but of course I haven’t gained more cash to spend – this gain is offset by the reduce in cash from actually spending it. My amount of cash allocated to Dining has been Dr (reduced) by $20 as you expect. So I am left with $980 in my checking, $30 in my Allocated:Dining, -$480 in my overall AllocatedCash.

You are probably thinking “That is stupid. Why bother?”.
You’re right – it is probably extra entries for little benefit. Hence why I’m going to try it for a few weeks before recommending before/against it in the tutorials and concepts guide and/or attempting/requesting features in GNUCash to support it.
The main advantage here is that it separates the allocation of money from the account you are going to spend it from. The spending transaction would be the same size and type if I was using a sub-account and didn’t spend from that sub account:
Dr Expenses:Dining $20
Cr Assets:MyCash $20
Cr Assets:Checking:Dining $20
Dr Assets:Checking $20

So if I (foolishly) chose a sub-account for allocation that I never spent from, doing it the separated way is no extra work – still similar four splits. But as you say, if you use a sub-account and spend from it most of the time, the messy four line transaction becomes a simple
Cr Checking:Dining $20
Dr Expenses:Dining $20

Does this make sense?

Thanks and regards,