Subaccounts [WAS Re: Future allocated money vs Budgets]

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 30 22:31:33 EST 2018

Matt,
I see one huge problem: where are you balancing the funds for the allocated accounts? They need balancing, and once you add something to balance them, you might as well male them Subaccounts of checking anyway.
Cheers,David

  On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 4:06, Matt Graham<matt_graham2001 at hotmail.com>
[Snip]If, rather than a sub-account, I use a separate asset account then there is no balancing Cr to an asset to increase the allocation. In your example, you had a balancing Cr on the parent when you allocated the money. So, we receive a $1000 pay check, and want to allocate $500 to the four accounts:
Cr Income: Salary $1000
Dr Asset:Current:Checking $1000
Cr Asset:Current:AllocatedCash $500
Dr. Assets:Allocated:Vacation    $250