Reconcile problem

Robert Swenson rswenson at nycap.rr.com
Wed Jan 31 12:12:41 EST 2018

On 01/31/2018 05:08 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 30 January 2018 at 22:22, oldpopsie <rswenson at nycap.rr.com
> <mailto:rswenson at nycap.rr.com>> wrote:
>
>     I used to be able to changetheending balance when I set up a
>     reconcile for a
>     month. All ofa sudden, i have a new version/build of Gnucash and
>     it won'
>     t let me change the ending balance i am trying to reconcile to.
>     Instead, it
>     insists on entering the exact register balance for the reconcile
>     date. This
>     produces an unreconciled amount when I have accounted for
>     everything that
>     has cleared the bank, as it does not allow for outstanding items
>     (uncleared
>     checks). Is this a setting problem? If so, what do I change? If
>     not, how do
>     I get an accurate reconcile?
>

> Which version of gnucash are you using, on what operating system, and
> how did you install or build it?
Version 2.6.16 built from rev 509ce16+ on 6/27/2017.
I am running it on SUSE Leap 42.2
I downloaded the binaries from the SUSE repositories and installed them
using the YAST tool that comes with SUSE.

> When you say it won't let you change it, what happens if you type into
> the appropriate field on the reconcile dialog?
If I type into the ending amount field, the date field goes blank. When
I try to reenter the date, the amount field reverts back to the current
register balance for that date.
It is weird, as yesterday when I wrote this it wasn't working as I
described above.
Today it is working! I haven't made any changes, and left it open all
night, so go figure.

I have another oddity that I haven't posted, but have just lived with;
when I mouse over one of the icons at the top, I get a text box but no
text explaining what the icon is. Is there any way to fix this? I have
tried a re-installation and that didn't work.

Thanks for your quick response.

oldpopsie