[GNC] Uninstalling previous versions

Stan Brown the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm
Sun Jul 1 08:02:06 EDT 2018

Here's my take, for what it's worth. At least in the Windows world, the
assumption is that when you install a new version it either removes the
old version entirely, or leaves the old version functional but installs
the new version in parallel. (The latter is less common, but some
programs do it when the new version is a major change.) Leaving a few
old files behind as orphans is usually regarded as an error of the new
installer.

I don't have a problem with the requirement to uninstall the old
version, but it was news to me, and I think would surprise many Windows
users. Surely the installer of the new version can uninstall the old
version itself -- and in my opinion, it should.

Stan Brown
Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://BrownMath.com
http://OakRoadSystems.com