[GNC] Advanced Portfolio: "sell transaction causing a negative stock balance, and a subsequent buy transaction causing a zero balance"

Anthony Joseph Messina amessina at messinet.com
Sun Jul 1 13:06:05 EDT 2018

With GnuCash 3.1 on Fedora 28, I encounter the following error with the
Advanced Portfolio report that I didn't receive on previous 2.6.y versions.

"There is an error processing the transaction 'buying 1.4907 share units'.
This may to be caused by a sell transaction causing a negative stock balance,
and a subsequent buy transaction causing a zero balance. This leads to a
division-by-zero error. It can be fixed by preventing negative stock
balances."

A stock in one of my 403(b) accounts was exchanged for another back on
4/24/2015.

Date		Description	Tot Shares	Tot Buy	Tot Sell		Balance
4/09/15												258.9702
4/24/15	Transfer		-260.4609			38,540.22	-1.4907
4/24/15	Contrib		1.4907		220.58				0

What is the proper fix here?  It seems like the "Contrib" entry needs to be
moved just before the "Transfer" on 4/24/15, but I'm not sure of the way to do
this.  If I try to fake the date of "Contrib" to 4/23/15, I get the ominous
warning about moving a transaction that's been reconciled, so I don't really
want to do that.

Thanks for your help.  -A

--
Anthony - https://messinet.com/ - https://messinet.com/~amessina/gallery
F9B6 560E 68EA 037D 8C3D  D1C9 FF31 3BDB D9D8 99B6