[GNC] Upgrading GC under Ubuntu

DaveC49 davidcousens at bigpond.com
Tue Jul 3 09:15:07 EDT 2018

Stephen, Colin

Just a correction to my last post. There is no problem with the icon
installation on Linux Mint 18.3.  It seems to possibly be a problem with
Nemo (Linux Mint file explorer) rather than the installation. All of the
icon files are actually there but there is something with the permissions
that does not allow Nemo  to see them if it is not opened as root despite,
all the files having read permissions for all users (and only for gnucash
files). I have closed and reopened Nemo in case it had somehow manged to get
that instance into a wierd state but the behavior seems to be reproducible.

It is a really weird situation, as with Nemo not open as root I can see the
icon and files in/usr/share/gnucash/pixmaps but not in
/usr/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/16x16/actions or any of the other icon
directories (shows as 0 items) yet with Nemo opened as root I can see them
all yet for any directories under /usr/share/gnucash, e.g. checks, I can see
all the contents in both yet there is no difference in the permissions of
the files (-rw-r--r-) or the directories (drwxr-xr-x) for the text files in
checks or the png files in the icon directories. The ownership and group of
all files and directories is root, root as you would expect.

If I use a terminal I can of course see the files at all levels with and
without root permissions.

Yet I have checked other software directories e.g. /usr/local/share/icons
and I have no problem seeing .png files in similar shares which all have the
above directory and file permissions without opening as root.

 I will check on the Linux Mint forums to see if anyone else has experienced
the same problem with Nemo.

-----
David Cousens