[GNC] Gnucash 3 in the Debian / Ubuntu pipeline?

Chris Good goodchris96 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 02:44:52 EDT 2018

> Message: 10
> Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2018 12:52:51 +0800
> From: Plutocrat <plutocrat at gmail.com>
> To: "gnucash-user at gnucash.org" <gnucash-user at gnucash.org>
> Subject: [GNC] Gnucash 3 in the Debian / Ubuntu pipeline?
>
> Hi,
>
> I've been troubled by the lack of Gnucash activity in Debian/Ubuntu
repositories.
> I previously used getdeb, which went silent around September 2017. I tried
> contacting the owners, but no reply. There was also an attempt on
Launchpad
> to provided more recent versions via a PPA, but that also went inactive a
few
> years back. Again I tried to contact the owners, but no response. And the
main
> repos are stuck on 2.6
>
> So for the last week or so I've been looking around, trying to figure out
if I can
> start a PPA of my own, and looking for info on what are the necessary
steps to
> fill it with .deb files. I was initially just looking to do 3.x on Ubuntu
18.04. Still
> haven't figured out exactly how this works.
>
> However I just came across this in my research. If I read it correctly,
then it
> seems that 3.2 is being added to Debian Sid and so, eventually, to Ubuntu
18.10.
> Possibly it will be backported then to 18.04 and maybe even 16.x
> 	https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnucash/1:3.2-1
>
> Here's hoping.
>
> P.

Hi Plutocrat,

I recently investigated the Debian archive and found the V#3.0-1 there
should run on Ubuntu 18.04 (but not 16.04) but I haven't tested it.
There is also V#3.2-1 there but I haven't checked that.

See https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Ubuntu#GnuCash_.40_Debian_Archive

I'll update that wiki.

Regards, Chris Good