[GNC] Building v3 - Wiki entry for Ubuntu

DaveC49 davidcousens at bigpond.com
Thu Jul 5 06:12:32 EDT 2018

Hi Colin,

I'm responsible for m,ost of the update  on the build Ubuntu. No problem for
me with a more generic page name at all. I had stuck with the names that
were there as I updated it with the more recent build instructions. I have
tried to generalise the page and make it a bit more user oriented and less
specifically developer oriented than it was originally.

I have always wondered about the /usr/local/ as I also personally have a lot
of home built software which installs there by default and the Ubuntu File
System Heirarchy lists the two most common install points other than the
users home directory as:

/opt :- This directory is reserved for all the software and add-on packages
that are not part of the default installation

/usr/local :- The /usr/local hierarchy is for use by the system
administrator when installing software locally. It needs to be safe from
being overwritten when the system software is updated.

Please feel free to modfy the text as you feel fit. I did not find the FHS
exactly illuminating.

The Linux Mint and I presume Ubuntu distribution versions of GnuCash install
into /usr/local. I have always installed there and as long as I don't
install over it from the software manager, it has never been a problem for
me. I modified that from an earlier version which primarily recommended
installing into $HOME/.local as the preferred option. I do use that if I
have built a version from the  github master or maint for testing so it was
possibly more developer oriented. T times I have had 3 versions of GnuCash
up and running

David
Cousens

-----