[GNC] How to process a purchase made without paying VAT and add it as an investment to be later depreciated

Jeremy D jeremy.defrere at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 17:02:27 EDT 2018

Hi Geert, Frank,

First of all, I really appreciate the feedback.

*assets:         VAT reimbursable                 Buys @ full rate: 21%
            : liabilities:         VAT                 Sales: 21%
      Import with VAT ID: 21%*

This resembles more or less what my accountant told me to do. Also he
strongly advised against the use of foreign VAT accounts for any of my
purchases (as a matter of fact I still have only two accounts - VAT
Receivable/VAT Payable -, and both are in use for Belgium). That's why
there's no tax table in the example sent, I just added and subtracted the
VAT manually. However, this solution creates a problem in that the
Liabilities placeholder account now has increased so much and I don't know
what the next step is.

My accountant and I created the example in my first message together but,
as he isn't familiar with Gnucash (he found it very difficult to use), I'm
afraid it might contain errors.

I'm not an accountant by any means but I at least want to be able to
understand what I'm doing with regards to Gnucash.

If it's not too much trouble, would you perhaps be so kind as to send me
one finished example of the former? Just to make sure I'm understanding
this correctly. I'm providing an early copy of my own Gnucash file in
attachment (I deleted all transactions first but all accounts necessary are
still there).

*I hope, you did not, because negative amounts are reserved for stornos.*

You mean, like in the case of a reimbursed expense?

Thanks for the support!

Jeremy