[GNC] gnucash on debian problem

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 16:44:18 EDT 2018

On 14 July 2018 at 21:06, John Griessen <john at industromatic.com> wrote:

> On 07/14/2018 01:49 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>
>>     Attempt to start gnucash:
>>
>>     gnucash: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gnuc
>> ash/gnucash/libgncmod-app-utils.so: undefined symbol:
>>     gnc_build_userdata_path
>>

>> Oh, you said the attempted upgrade failed. So after upgrading you get
>> that error. How did you upgrade
>>

> sudo apt install gnucash
>
> and what is shown by
>
>> apt-cache policy gnucash
>>

> apt-cache policy gnucash
> gnucash:
>   Installed: 1:3.2-1
>   Candidate: 1:3.2-1
>   Version table:
>  *** 1:3.2-1 180
>         180 http://deb.debian.org/debian unstable/main amd64 Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>      1:2.6.15-1 160
>         160 http://deb.debian.org/debian stable/main amd64 Packages
>
> ll /usr/bin/gnucash
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 35888 Jul  4 04:21 /usr/bin/gnucash
>
> With above done I get the error.

> =====================================
> To use gnucash, I go back to packages from the past:
>
> For the last working version, I install by
> dpkg -i gnucash_1%3a2.6.14-1_amd64.deb gnucash-common_1%3a2.6.14-1_all.deb
>
> with the above 2.6.14 version installed:
>
> apt-cache policy gnucash
> gnucash:
>   Installed: 1:2.6.14-1
>   Candidate: 1:2.6.14-1
>   Version table:
>      1:3.2-1 180
>         180 http://deb.debian.org/debian unstable/main amd64 Packages
>      1:2.6.15-1 160
>         160 http://deb.debian.org/debian stable/main amd64 Packages
>  *** 1:2.6.14-1 1100
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

When you install one or the other like that are you removing the one that
was there before?  If not then you may have bits of both versions
installed.  I would try purging both of them (check that the files in the
folder mentioned in the error are gone) and then just install 3.2.  If you
want to switch back then uninstall that one before installing the other.

If 3.2 still doesn't work then perhaps it is a packaging error in Debian.

Colin