[GNC] survey: unifying the appearance in different options dialogs

Di Mang di.mang.freetime at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 16:14:47 EDT 2018

Hi Adrien,

>:

> I didn’t realize there were so many such dialogs!
>
> Looking them over now, I’d think setting the value to “8” would leave some
> room for future flexibility and this appears to be doable based on the size
> of most tabs. (this would vary with very long strings, perhaps considering
> German, it might be better to leave the max at “6”)

I think it's a good idea to add a few extra places for future tabs. The
dialogs should look good with 8 tabs at the top too - the names in the tabs
are currently quite short.
The changing of this value would have no effect on other dialogs such
"Edit">"Preferences", "File">"Import/Export", "Tools" >"Online Banking
Setup" because they have more as 10 tabs or are based on other GTK
elements. So I have changed the value to 8 in my PR:
https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/pull/382.
<https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/pull/382>

It looks like the Import/Export and Online Banking setup dialogs are
> different in that they force the user to step through each tab in order.
> Normally, tabs should not depend on or affect settings in other tabs. (or
> the dialog should be re-arranged) Since this is the case with those
> dialogs, it seems either they’ve been specially designed, or they are using
> a different gtk element to force the progression through tabs rather than
> let the user jump around.
>
> I see some room for improvement here as well. Adding
> ​​
> numerals before the label of each tab in these ‘ordered-tab-dialogs’ would
> make the fact that you have to go in order a bit more obvious. (I tried to
> jump around, and only when I couldn’t did I notice the ’Next’ button which
> clued me in)
>
>I agree, the numbers before the labels on each tab will make these dialogs
more intuitive.

> Additionally, it seems the Import Bills/Invoice and the Customers/Vendors
> dialogs are intended to operate the same way, but simply haven’t been
> transitioned to the other format. (which I personally think is the better
> design as it forces the user to enter required information in order.)
>
> If those last two changes aren’t something you’ll be dealing with, I’ll
> just file bug reports/RFE’s on them.

​I don't know the source code of GnuCash so well yet and probably will not
be able to implement these changes now. It would be better to create new
RFCs for it.​ Thanks in advance!