[GNC] GnuCash 3.2 Japanese Keyboard

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Jul 22 00:21:22 EDT 2018

> On Jul 21, 2018, at 5:34 PM, KrisGaethofs <krisgaethofs at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm running GnuCash on Windows 10.
>
> System region is set to Japan and both English and Japanese language packs
> are installed. I use a Japanese keyboard together with Microsoft IME.
>
> Since updating to GnuCash 3.2 all keyboard input in GnuCash defaults to
> halfwidth katakana and there's no way to switch it off. Switching to English
> input (Win Key + Space)  does not make a difference, all input is still in
> halfwidth katakana. Switching to different Japanese inputs (romaji /
> hiragana / katakana) does not make a difference either, all input still is
> in halfwidth katakana.
>
> Note that when I say input is in halfwidth katakana I mean it literally
> corresponds to the kana keys on my keyboard. For example the q key gives me
> タ and the w key gives me テ.
>
> The normal way of inputting any Japanese would be by typing it out
> phonetically and using the IME to convert to hiragana / katakana / kanji.
>
> Looks like GnuCash ignores all IME / Language selections made and just
> sticks to kana only mode for my keyboard (Logicool G710+).
>
> GnuCash is the first program I've encountered to display this kind of
> behaviour. Any idea what might be going on?

We’ve had several reports about IME not working correctly. Some of the issues have been addressed, but there’s some IME code in the register that we suspect is obsolete. Geert plans to work on that next month.

In the meantime, there have been a few changes since 3.2 was released, so it would be helpful if you could retrieve the latest nightly build from https://code.gnucash.org/biulds/win32/maint <https://code.gnucash.org/biulds/win32/maint>, test it, and report on the behavior.

One other thing: Are you having problems with IME on all windows and dialogs or just in the register?

Regards,
John Ralls