[GNC] Payroll add-on, module, software?

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at dialup4less.com
Thu Jul 26 07:36:27 EDT 2018

On 7/25/2018 8:20 PM, John Ralls wrote:

> GnuCash is actually very modular (perhaps a little too much, there are
> parts of it that are modules and probably shouldn't be). I wouldn't
> say it's easy, nothing in programming GnuCash seems to be easy, but
> it's possible for a third party developer to create a payroll module
> for their jurisdiction and for users in that jurisdiction to add it to
> their GnuCash installations. But in 20 years no third party developer
> has ever expressed any interest in creating a GnuCash plugin. Regards,
> John Ralls

"Plug ins" (feeds) have TWO parts. Sender and receiver. As I understand
the issues (decades of experience in software design) there are TWO
parts to a "plug", can think of as male (sender) and female) receiver.
It is the receiver that needs to be responsible for input editing of
feeds and THAT is a good sized project all by itself << do not accept a
feed that will not work, how to report this to sender, etc. >>

Saying that no third party has expressed interest in writing something
that would send a feed to gnucash ignores that gnucash does not have the
capability of (properly) dealing with batch feeds.

Michael

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.