[GNC] Payroll add-on, module, software?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 26 10:53:50 EDT 2018

"Maf. King" <maf at chilwell.net> writes:

> On Thursday, 26 July 2018 12:36:27 BST Mike or Penny Novack wrote:
>

>> Saying that no third party has expressed interest in writing something
>> that would send a feed to gnucash ignores that gnucash does not have the
>> capability of (properly) dealing with batch feeds.
>>
>> Michael
>
> Why do the words "chicken and egg" pop into my head...?
>
> IIRC, the original Business Features added by Derek were a module.  One could
> theoretically compile GC (1.6 or 1.8?) with a flag and the whole A/P & A/R
> subsystem wouldn't exist.  But that may be the 20 years that John referred to!

Indeed, I spent a lot of time making the core gnucash engine modular
enough that the business features would plug-in to the code.  There were
only a FEW things that had to be hard-integrated in (specifically the AR
and AP account types).  But all the Customer/Vendor/Invoice/TaxTable and
associated reports were separate enough that you could build gnucash
without them (or at least package it into a sepeate gnucash-business
package).

I view the payroll somewhat differently.  It's more like the tax tables.
GnuCash implements some tax table rules but requires the user to
actually input the numbers.  I see payroll as similar (but MUCH more
complicated, which significantly more "rules" that would need to be
implemented).   See my previous email on the topic.