[GNC] GNUcash 3.2 file open issue

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Fri Jul 27 21:00:00 EDT 2018

John,

I'm not really sure what GIMP uses as a UI toolkit. I showed the Libre-
Office one primarily because on my system it was almost identical in
appearance and function to the dialog window from Gnucash apart from
the missing USB mount and network mounts. I have explored a few other
(non GTK) apps I use and whether they see the network an USB mounts is
highly variable. As another user pointed out it isn't exactly a show
stopper as you can always transfer a file elsewhere using Nemo or the
OS facilities.

I'm also not very familiar with GTK3 either at this stage. I would
guess they wrap the basic OS file and network access routines. I'll
have a bit of a dig around the documentation and see if I can unearth
anything useful. Firefox which uses GTK3 has reported network access
issues in its file dialog on AskUbuntu (https://askubuntu.com/questions
/764272/upload-dialogs-for-firefox-and-chrome-now-differ-ffs-doesnt-
include-network-d). This post on unix  stack exchange, https://unix.sta
ckexchange.com/questions/198996/prevent-the-gtk-file-dialog-from-
listing-mount-points,  indicates that there is a way of stopping GTK
from accessing mounted devices by the udev configuration, so maybe I
can use the info to enable it. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/3
04345 for Audacious also reports similar problems and a fix.

Will give it a try later today. I have some of the network mounts done
in fstab and others for devices which may or may not be available using
autofs so that may also be a source for differences within Linux.

David Cousens