[GNC] Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya and Gnucash 3.2

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Sat Jul 28 03:06:02 EDT 2018

On Sat, 2018-07-28 at 01:11 -0500, Shabuboy.joy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just migrated from Quicken to Gnucash. Loving it so far!
>
> The question i have is: Will Gnucash 3.2 be available for Linux Mint
> 18.2?
> The software manager installed 2.6.12
> i did the apt update and upgrade and still same version is listed.

The software version installed by the Software Manager in LM is usually
determined by the current version available when the the LM version was
released or produced. Short answer is no from the Software Manager for
18.2. Alternatives are to upgrade to Linux Mint 19 (Tara) where GnuCash
 v3.2 is available as a flatpak from the software manager or to build
GnuCash V3.2 from the sources (see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/BuildU
buntu16.04#Build_Gnucash for detailed instructions originally written
for LM18.3/Ubuntu16.04). I tried to make it complete and user friendly
but may still have missed a few points and is currently upgraded
whenever issues come to my or other user's attention. The dependencies
listed there may not be totally complete as it may have missed packages
on my system that were installed prior to building v3.2 on LM 18.3. I
am currently setting up to build on LM 19 after a clean LM 19 install.

In any case when you run cmake it checks for all required dependencies
and will stop and display an error indicating which packages are not
installed. If you then install the package it bombed out on and then
run cmake again it will find the next missing package. Repeat until
cmake completes successfully then do the build and install as
described. If you have any problems come back to the forum.

> i also tried the getweb but got the same version, at least it told me
> the
> same version was installed already.
>
> I see the new version can be built from the source, but I am far from
> being
> a Linux expert and never done that before.

It is not as daunting as it looks at first.

> I also have a MacOS running the 3.2 version, so wanted to match both
> version
> on both systems in order to avoid possible bugs between the different
> releases.
>
> Regards

Good luck

David cousens